Join us on Saturday May 29 for a walk to Barrenjoey Headland.
Barrenjoey Headland is a relatively small peninsula, primed for spectacular views. From the top you can see the vast stretch of Pacific Ocean to the east, Hawkesbury River to the north and the gorgeous still waters of Pittwater and Broken Bay to the west. The walk via Smugglers Track looks down over Palm Beach and Pittwater. It has 360˚views from the top of the headland with a heritage lighthouse and lighthouse keeper’s cottages.
Meet either at Patonga Wharf (Patonga Dr, Patonga) at 9:30am (for the 9:45am ferry), or at Palm Beach (Pittwater Park, Barrenjoey Rd, Palm Beach) at 10:00am. If you are catching the ferry, make sure you arrive early enough to buy a ticket (the fare is $12.50 each way for adults).
We will have lunch together after the walk. If you are catching the ferry back to Patonga, we aim to be on the 2:00pm ferry (getting to Patonga at 2:30pm).
Note that the ferry is not running to Ettalong (as originally planned) due to the wind and swell forecast for Saturday.
- Distance: 3km return (1.4 miles)
- Time: About 30 minutes up to the lighthouse. Allow same time for return.
- Track Conditions: Marked track. Some uneven natural stone steps.
- Grade: The track goes straight up the side of the headland. Steep in sections.
- Water: At the parking area.
- Toilets: At the parking area and at the top of Smugglers Track, behind the cottage.
- Mobile phone reception: Yes
- Swimming: Yes, at Palm Beach.
More details available at: www.sydneycoastwalks.com.au/barrenjoey-lighthouse-walk/
- Snacks & Water to drink
- Money for Lunch (we will buy lunch afterwards at the beach café)
- Money for ferry
- $5 tax deductable contribution to Peninsula Lighthouse Ltd.